Saturday, February 6, 2010

Week 3

During the last class, we discussed formative and summative assessment.  This discussion has carried on throughout the week.  Yesterday, with the preclinical teacher and last night with some dinner guests.  We all agreed that there is definitely value in both and they need to be collaborated in some way, but the general consensus was that formative assessment is greatly underused.  


My technology background is a case in point.  Myself and other IT colleagues are encouraged repeatedly to get certifications for various software packages.  This could even be tied to a bonus, but it is questionable how much real world benefit there is.  Most people taking the tests would just memorize the prep materials and pass easily, but when confronted with a real life scenario, they were often unable to solve the problem.  This is a shortcut for bosses who don't have the patience to assess the employee through other means.  Similarly, teachers can also be guilty of over-relying on standardized tests with their students.  Learning how to learn should definitely be a priority.

2 comments:

Still Lynn29 said...

I agree with you that teachers should work to access with more than just standardized testing.

Kathleen said...

Darn!! I had an entire comment all written out and then I never published it and now I have to start all over again! I guess I wont make that mistake again. So, I agree with you as well. I think that professionals at all levels can over rely on standardized tests.